Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mobile Learning


Mobile Learning

When I think about mobile learning i think it would be awesome in middle school and high school where a very large number of students have their own personal cells phones.  Students are eager to use their cell phones and teachers could support this by having them use them in an educational way. 

As a first grade teacher I do not see mobile learning as being as valuable as with older students.  Yes, all first graders know how to use a cell phone but they do not all have their personal cell phone to bring to school (at least not yet!)  I would find it difficult to use mobile learning with first graders for this reason.  The only way to use mobile learning in my classroom would be for the district to provide the technology and I am not sure how likely that would be to happen. 

I spent some time exploring Poll Everywhere and found it to be an awesome resource.  I think that students would be engaged doing an activity like this.  The first way to use Poll Everywhere that popped into my head was for a review game.  Teachers could use polls to review concepts for a test.  Teachers would easily be able to tell where students needed more instruction and immediately reteach concepts.

I think that mobile technology will become very popular in schools in the near future.  I can’t wait to see how early elementary teachers use it in their instruction.   

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering if your situation may require a partnership with someone like Verizon as we read in one of our articles. If those little ones could at least have cell phones in the classroom for internet exploration and learning, I think they would benefit from learning that a cell phone is more than just a talking tool! I am curious as well as to how mobile technology is going to change the education of those students in early elementary.

    ReplyDelete