Sunday, January 29, 2012

Getting Things Done Reflection

I consider myself to be a very organized person. I always have a to-do list of what I need to accomplish at work and also for my course work. I find that if I do not have a list of what I must accomplish it is much more difficult to prioritize and to keep myself focused on what needs to be done. I was very excited to try the GTD process to see if it would be helpful to me.

When I first thought about trying GTD I had to think of what I would use to organize the process. I thought of the different options that I had to choose from. I could use my phone, paper and pencil, or my computer. I have found before that I am not very good about updating list and things that I need to do in my phone. In the past I have found that paper and pencil is the most effective way for me to organize what I need to accomplish. I decided that I would use paper and pencil to organize this process.

This process helped me to put what I needed to accomplish into prospective. One of the major differences in the process and what I have used before is the collect portion. Being able to just list everything that needs to get done in one place without prioritizing. I have noticed that before I tried GTD I would try to prioritize right when I starting writing my to-do list, this became overwhelming.

Overall, I found that GTD really helped to focus me on what I needed to accomplish and when it needed to be accomplished by. Along with the collect step, I also found the review step helped me to see what I had accomplished and what still needed to get done. The five steps were easy to follow and have become part of my routine when planning out my week. I plan on using this process in the future to help me to stay organized with my very busy schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment