Sunday, February 19, 2012

Learning Style

After taking the Multiple Intelligences test based on Howard Garder’s Model I found out that my two main learning styles include interpersonal and bodily-kinesthetic. One teaching strategy that is effective for my learning style is group work. I learn best by being able to cooperate with others. I am able to understand other people and enjoy helping others learn along with them helping me learn. I have always enjoyed working with others and find it helpful to have contact with others while learning. I also learn best by being able to touch things and move around. I learn by being able to “do” things instead of just watching or listening. I have found that during my schooling the way that is least effective for my learning is just by listening. I need to have something visual in front of my in order to keep me focused. Since this is my weakest learning style, I always try to incorporate other things such as visuals and manipulatives when I am using the teaching method of “talking”.

As a teacher you have a classroom full of 25 students who have all different learning styles. It is very difficult for each lesson to focus on every learning style. At the beginning of the year I am able to notice the different types of learning styles that each child in my classroom has. After learning about each student, it is my job to plan my teaching and lessons around their needs and how they learn best. I have found that one of the best ways for me to meet each students needs and how they learn best is by using the workshop approach. The workshop approach includes a lot of individual and small group learning. By using this I am able to group students together based on their needs and also their learning styles. Instead of teaching to only one learning style whole group I am able to teach using a variety of learning styles in small groups. I think as a teacher it is important to introduce our students to a variety of different types of learning. Giving them exposure will help them to realize how they learn best and what they can do for themselves to be self-motivated learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment